As a student majoring in the Arts & Humanities, there are some curriculum requirements you must meet. To graduate, you must earn 120 credit hours total.
You must take 39 credit hours of required courses for the core curriculum. Consult your advisor, and refer to the University catalog for more information regarding approved core/General Education courses.
- English (12 hours; 3 hours must be literature and may be a foreign literature; 3 hours must be either communication, writing, or acting)
- History (3 hours)
- Math (6 hours; 3 hours must be college algebra; 3 hours must be a non-algebra Math)
- Science (9 hours) Combination of biological sciences and physical sciences, with 2 courses from the same subject.
- Behavioral Science (6 hours; 3 hours must be at the 200 level or higher; Select from anthropology, criminal justice, political science, psychology, sociology, geography, or economics 202, 201 or 300)
- Arts (3 hours) Must be chosen from Danc, Music, Theater or Visual Arts (see your curriculum plan for a list of specific courses)
Arts & Humanities - Major/Concentration Courses
If you choose to major in the Arts & Humanities, you will be required to complete 24 credit hours from subject matter in the Arts (groups of subjects from Block 1) & Humanities (groups of subjects from Block 6). All 24 of those credit hours must be at the 300 or 400 level with an earned grade of "C" or higher.
Choose courses from the following disciplines:
Arts (Block 1)
- Visual Arts
- Moving Image Arts
Humanities (Block 6)
- Honors (if a member)
- Modern Languages
- Sociology 480
Enrichment Blocks: (Blocks are simply "groups of subjects")
For your enrichment hours, you must complete 36 credit hours total. You need 12 credit hours from three different blocks (for 36 hours total) — and one of those will be the same as your major/concentration area. You can complete coursework in any combination of subjects within each of those three blocks. The idea is that you get “enriched” by exploring different disciplines - find out where your interests lie, what your strengths are, and what classes are a hit for you! These 36 hours can be 100-400 level courses.
Once enriched in different blocks or groups of subjects, you will be able to decide which of these 3 blocks you want to be your major.
The other blocks besides Arts & Humanities are:
- Natural Sciences
- Behavioral Sciences
- Applied Sciences
- Business Studies
You are free to choose 21 credit hours from any block to complete your electives. We encourage you to use at least 6 hours towards the completion of a minor.
2-3 credit hours - computer intensive course
3 credit hours - Advanced Writing course
Only one (1) KNEA class can be applied toward your graduation requirements
A maximum of 30 hours of business classes may be counted toward your Bachelor of General Studies degree (or any college outside of the College of Business).