As a student majoring in Business Studies, there are some curriculum requirements you must meet. To graduate, you must earn 120 credit hours total.
You must take 39 credit hours of required courses for the core curriculum. Consult your advisor, and refer to the University catalog for more information regarding approved core/General Education courses.
- English (12 hours; 3 hours must be literature and may be a foreign literature; 3 hours must be either communication, writing, or acting)
- History (3 hours)
- Math (6 hours; 3 hours must be college algebra; 3 hours must be a non-algebra Math)
- Science (9 hours) Combination of Biological Sciences and Physical Sciences, with 2 courses from the same subject.
- Behavioral Science (6 hours; 3 hours must be at the 200 level or higher; Select from anthropology, criminal justice, political science, psychology, sociology, geography, or economics 202, 201 or 300)
- Arts (3 hours) Must be chosen from Danc, Music, Theater or Visual Arts (see your curriculum plan for a list of specific courses)
Business Studies Concentration Courses
If you choose Business Studies as your major, you will complete 24 credit hours. All 24 of those credit hours must be at the 300- or 400-level with an earned grade of "C" or higher.
Choose courses from the following disciplines:
- Business systems, analysis, and technology
- Business law
- Computer science
- Health information management
- Quantitative methods
- Louisiana center health informatics
- Health services administration
Enrichment Blocks: (Blocks are simply "groups of subjects")
For your enrichment hours, you must complete 36 credit hours. You need 12 credit hours in three or more blocks each (for 36 hours total) — and one of those blocks must be the same as your concentration area. You can complete coursework in any combination of subjects within those three blocks. The idea is that you get “enriched” by exploring different disciplines - find out where your interests lie, what your strengths are, and what classes are a hit for you! These 36 hours can be 100-400 level courses. Once enriched in different blocks or groups of subjects, you will be able to decide which of these 3 blocks you want to be your major.
The other blocks besides Business Studies are:
- Arts & Humanities
- Behavioral Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Applied Sciences
You are free to choose from any block to fulfill your 21 credit hours toward electives. We encourage you to use at least 6 of those hours to complete a minor.
2-3 credit hours - computer intensive course
3 credit hours - advanced writing course
Only one (1) KNEA class can be applied toward your graduation requirements.
A maximum of 30 hours can be applied from the College of Business Administration toward your Bachelor of General Studies degree. Courses excluded from that 30-hour limit are:
- QMET 251
- QMET 352
- Louisiana Center Health Informatics courses
- Informatics courses
- Computer Science courses
- ECON 202
- ECON 201 or ECON 300 (not both)
- Health Information Management courses
- Health Services Administration courses